Musings of a Lady

Friday, June 18, 2010

Summer Projects

Phew!  The school year ended and although I am still working the schedule is not so hectic.  So, I have turned my eye onto several projects.  One is a summer weight Gaul for an 18th century Picnic (in two weeks - Yikes!) and then preparing for an Art Deco event on the Queen Mary - a full weekend of dressing deco!

So, let's begin with the 18th century gaul or chemise style gown.  I made one in a royal blue and gold-bronze striped fabric for Costume College last year.  What I want to do is use an ivory batiste that has a self stripe over a aqua lining - so hopefully the minty color will be cool and nice.  Do I like stripes?  I guess I do as I have other fabrics in my stash for 18th century that have stripes.  Mmmmm, what does that say about me?  Anyway, I am thinking about sashing it with a pretty yellow for a spring-summer effect.  I am also planning on making a Lunardi hat to go with it.

I have my work cut out for me since I need this dress in 2 weeks.  Well, need is relative I guess.  Luckily I am using the same pattern and procedure so it shouldn't be too difficult to get it done.  Ha, ha, ha, LOL!  We shall see.  Next post - fabric samples and what gets done!

2 comments:

GentlewomanThief said...

Ooh, the gaul you've already made is a lovely colour on you. And I think a lot of us 18th c-loving types have a thing for stripes, so you're not alone! :)

Angela said...

Thank you. With 18th century and 1880's two of favorite historical clothing periods, stripes seem to be the fabric of choice. Anyway, thanks for visiting.