Musings of a Lady

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Le Modiste: Corsets. Corsets. Part 3

A couple of years ago, I made a pretty little lightly boned corset out of an embroidered silk.   I really loved this little corset.  Well after two wearings, the boning came shooting out, ripping through the silk. I was very unhappy!


Up until this year, I didn't need to replace the corset.  However, events that focus on Victorian styles have happened and are coming up this year and the next, so, I decided to make a new corset.  Luckily, I could use the same pattern and fabric from my stash as well as use the bones and busk from the old corset.  Upcycling at its best!   The only thing I changed is that I used a double layer of the coutil backing of the silk.  The fashion fabric is a pretty Chinese woven silk damask.  I had a choice of silvery white with black flowers and the reverse side with white flowers, I chose the black ground with silvery white flowers.  To add a bit of interest, I embroidered the edges of the gussets.  Why?  No idea other than I love to embroider and it was a way to practice that art and give a bit of detail to my corset.  

The corset assembled and ready for embroidering

Details fo the embroidery around the gussets.

The corset on my mannequin.  (Sorry a little out of focus) I hate the metal front busks, but I was trying not to buy anything new.

The corset pattern I used was the Past Pattern #708 http://www.pastpatterns.com/708.html.




This particular corset was easy to make and fit and does the work I need to shape my figure to the styles from about 1850 to 1890's.  For newbie corset makers I think this one is a good one to start with.  If you are not a corset maker and don't want to be bothered, the best is have it made for you by an expert. This can be a bit expensive but is worth the investment as it will last for a long time!  One company I recommend is:  Dark Gardens.  http://www.darkgarden.com  I have a corset made by this company.  It is beautiful and well made.  I had some corrective surgery in 2009 and the corset no longer fits me in the bust and I do have the option to have it altered by the same company, but just haven't done it.  Silly me. 

Well, this ends the corset series.  I have three new corsets as a baseline for my Regency, 18th century and Victorian projects coming up.  What are they?  Well, let's see.  Ah, this is my ambitious project line up:

1. Regency day dress (finish a UFO) and a new Redingote, hat and accessories - deadline October 1.
2. 1880's day jacket bodice (I have a pretty black and pink 1880's ball gown and need a day jacket-bodice for the annual Christmas Tea at the Palace Hotel in December.
3.  Optional:  A George Barbier style 18th century gown for the Ball Carnival in Feb 2014.
4.  Optional:  Tudor Tailor kirtle, jacket and accessories - possibly for a Renaissance Faire in Sebastepol and Folsom, California. in September 2013
5.  Start a Regency wardrobe for the Jane Austen Festival in 2014, Beginning with the top priority item on the list.

Phew!  I have my work cut out for me and lots to post about.  Stay tuned, dear friends.

Angela







2 comments:

Angela said...

Love the corset fabric, and it's those special touches (like the embroidery) that makes it beautiful!

Angela said...

Thank you Angela! I love this pattern because it gives me the structure and it also is light. Cheers.