Musings of a Lady

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Le Modiste: 18th Century Pocket

One of these days I will be able to afford the bone thread carriers. :)
I have been working on an 18th century pocket for about a year.  I am nearly done with the embroidery and will then construct the pocket for use.  I love embroidery since it is so portable and can go anywhere.  For example:  I took it to a marathon I participated in last spring up north in California.  I was one of several adults with our high school girls running club.  One of my students asked,  'What is that going to be?'  A pocket.  A very quizzical brow furrowed.  "Uh?"  I explained what a pocket was and how ladies used them to carry their belongings under their skirts.  "Why, would you spend all that time embroidering that and no one will see it?"  she exclaimed!  I said, "Good point but I know its there and after all its a personal item and a woman would want to practice her skills."  I don't think I convinced her but she sat with me and watched me do it while we talked about other things.  Anyway, here is the results so far:



I used an oatmeal colored linen and backed it with a muslin to give it some weight.  I did set up a duplicate to have a pair but I think I want to do something different for the next one which is to do one that is more early 19th century and make using patch work cottons.

Please note that this is one of the UFO's I have on my list to get done that is not a 'garment'. I am giving myself the deadline of early February, so I should have the finished deal by then!  Cheers.

7 comments:

Madame Berg said...

I think it looks just lovely! The colours you chose are very pretty together. I admire your patience. I plan to take up embroidery when I'm ready for my old age pension :P

Angela said...

Thank you! It is funny, I love to embroider but can't follow a knitting pattern or crochet pattern without a lot of anxiety! I love to do handwork. Cheers.

The Lady Ship said...

Wow, this looks pretty!

Clare S said...

Wow - so much work, and so beautifully done! This is looking amazing! As Mme B said, the colours work very well together.

Angela said...

Thank you! I hope to get it done soon. When I do I will certainly post.

Angela said...

Thanks Clare! Cheers!

Rowenna said...

So beautiful! I used to embroider more and want to get back to it. Though my work never looked this nice :) PS I left something on my blog for you :)